Ready to up your flat-lay game and add #FlatLayQueen to your resume? Jessica from Empress Stationery shared an AMAZING guide and video tutorial in her PRO Spotlight that we just couldn’t help but share again…just in case you missed it! Without further ado, here are some awesome tips & tricks and inspo to make your flat-lay dreams come true!
Empress Stationery Flat-Lay Guide
A few great things to have on hand for styling your flat-lays are:
- Styling Board; you can easily make your own using Styrofoam or cork with a linen sheet over top or you can purchase one!
- Risers (can use anything, magnets, acrylic, etc.)
- Silk Ribbon
- Wax Seals, a Wax Stamp, or both! (a good opportunity to showcase multiple ways to use them; on ribbon, on vellum, on different pieces in the suite, etc.)
- Foundation pieces, look for things that are in scale to your paper/suite. You don’t want these pieces to be way bigger or smaller than your suite; simple plates and bowls work great
- A Smart Phone holder, to get a good overhead shot
Tips for setting up your board:
- Start at the top of your layout and let your eye travel down from there
- Save your ribbon scraps from suites so that you can tailor your flat-lays to different color palettes
- Make sure you cover up any client addresses (unless you have permission!)
- Style according to your camera/phone, not the styling board, because your camera might not be fully straight
- Add a little pile of wax seals into the frame, you can even show the adhesive backing, so that your client can see how they work and how they will arrive if they are doing the assembling themselves!
Flat-lays are such a great way to showcase your work and amazing talent on your social media channels and website. We hope this guide and tutorial provided you with some tips and tricks that will help you with styling and shooting a flat-lay! We can’t wait to see what you create! Be sure to tag @artisairepro
If you have any questions, please send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Artisaire PRO Team